Saturday, July 9th
Lake Ore-be-gone Fun Dive
- Cost $20
Historically, this lake was a series of three mining pits within the Mesabi Iron Range. This lake developed out of the flooding of three mining pits and is over 400 feet in depth. It’s an excellent place for new and experienced divers. Ore- Be-Gone is stocked with many things divers can take photos of or explore such as a school bus, Huey helicopter, school bus, cars, US army plane, rail cars, boats, platforms, fish & MORE!
Water temperatures can be as cold as 40 degrees below the thermocline and as warm as 70 degrees at the surface. Divers should consider wearing a cold water wetsuit or a dry suit, gloves, boots, and a hood. Additional items to consider bringing are dive lights, knife, lawn chair, rain gear, jacket, sturdy footwear, bug repellant, and a tarp.
Meeting Point and Time: Your fun dive leaders will meet you at 11:00am under the lakeside pavilion at Lake OreBeGone. The pavilion is located off the public beach access just down the hill from Sherwood Forest Campgrounds – 101 W. Wisconsin Ave E, Gilbert, MN.
Hotels and Camping: Our fun-dive leaders will be camping at Sherwood Forest Campground on the E2 site. Please secure your own accommodations if you plan to spend the night in Gilbert. Some options are as follows:
- Sherwood Forest Campground, www.gilbertmn.org
- West Forty RV, www.westfortyrvpark.com
- Biwabik Campground, campingwabik.com
- Super 8 by Wyndham, Eveleth, MN (218) 297-0782
- Quality Inn and Suites, Virginia, MN (218) 749-1000
- AmericInn by Wyndham, Virginia, MN (218) 208-0230
- Comfort Inn and Suites, Virginia, MN (218) 741-7411